Friday, October 1, 2010

Binh Danh

Every Thursday night I have a class at 7pm. It's a required class for all art majors. Every week they provide a speaker and you just have to listen. But, since I'm required to take it every semester, I get kinda bitter that I have to give up my Thursday nights every week of my college experience.

Last night I changed attitude toward the class. They posted a list of the speakers but I never read the list. When I arrived to class I was so excited to find that it was Binh Danh. He is one of my favorite artists of all time.

He uses photosynthesis to transfer images onto tropical plants. I love his series that he uses images from the Vietnam War. They are beautiful and moving. It was fascinating to hear about his connection with the War since he is a refugee himself and made me appreciate his art that much more.

In the end of his presentation he left us with this quote:

"We dye with the dying:
See, they depart, and we go with them.
We are born with the dead:
See, they return, and bring us with them."
– T. S. Eliot

He helped me want to become a better artist, by making a statement with my work. And to become a better person. To remember the past so we can have a brighter future. 


1 comment: